Digital dental impressions are quickly becoming the standard in dentistry. The days of biting down on a gooey impression material are fading away as digital technology takes over. This blog will explore how digital dental impressions work, what you can expect during the process, and ways to make it more comfortable.
First, let’s start with how digital dental impressions are taken. Instead of using impression material to create a mold of your teeth, a small wand with a camera is used to capture images of your teeth and gums. These images are then sent to a computer, where specialized software creates a 3D model of your teeth. This model then creates a custom treatment plan, including any necessary restorations or orthodontic appliances.
During the digital dental impression process, the dentist or dental assistant will prepare your teeth and gums by cleaning and drying them. The wand then captures images of your teeth from different angles, including close-ups of specific teeth or your entire mouth. The process is painless, and no impression material is needed, making it much more comfortable than traditional impressions.
To make the process even more comfortable, you can do a few things:
- Make sure to brush and floss your teeth before the appointment, making it easier for the wand to capture accurate images.
- Relax and breathe normally during the process, as tensing up can make it more difficult to get clear images.
- If you have any concerns or discomfort, let your dentist know so they can adjust as needed.
There are several benefits to using digital dental impressions over traditional impressions:
- Digital impressions are more accurate and precise, which can result in better-fitting restorations and appliances.
- Digital impressions are faster and more efficient, allowing for shorter appointments and fewer return visits.
- Digital impressions are more eco-friendly, eliminating the need for impression material and disposable trays.
Digital dental impressions are a game-changer in dentistry. By using advanced technology to capture images of your teeth and gums, dentists can create more accurate treatment plans and provide better patient care.
Looking for a dentist who listens to your concerns and makes you feel at home? Look no further than Michael J. Armento, DMD! Dr. Armento and his friendly staff provide exceptional family dentistry care in Randolph, NJ, and the surrounding areas. From routine cleanings to more complex treatments such as root canals and teeth straightening, Dr. Armento’s gentle touch and compassionate approach will put you immediately at ease. He even offers state-of-the-art solutions for cracked or crooked teeth, including Invisalign and dental implants. And if you’re worried about discomfort, Dr. Armento wants you to know that going to the dentist doesn’t have to hurt!
Schedule your appointment today by calling (973) 361-6500 or using our online form.